Tuesday, June 17, 2014

World Cup June 17


Wow! Yesterday's US victory was the best! What a rush. Overall, I had a great World Cup day: 2 wins, 1 tie. My overall record now stands at 8-5-1. And the tie was in a game where my connections to each team were tenuous at best. Today, I have direction connections to five of the six teams playing. Here are my picks using my silly rule of choosing countries that have done the most for my career:

Belgium vs. Algeria: Thanks to my awesome friend Pierre-Guillaume Méon, I gave a talk at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). Go Belgium!

Brazil vs. Mexico: Loved giving a talk at CIDE in Mexico. But Brazil has won my loyalty, thanks to my co-author José Cheibub and my co-teaching with Fernando Limongi at USP. To paraphrase from Casablanca, "[Mexico], I love you. But [Brazil] pays me."

Russia vs. South Korea: Thanks the ESADE/Georgetown GEMBA program, I've taught three times in Russia. But Russia didn't pay for it. Meantime, I had a great time teaching for Korea University's summer campus back in 2009. Global KU Frontier Spirit all the way!

3 comments: