Thursday, June 19, 2014

World Cup June 19


Mixed results yesterday using my rule to pick countries that have done the most to help my career: 1 win, 2 losses. Overall record is now 10-7-3 (I definitely did better in 2010). Today's picks:

Colombia v. Côte d'Ivoire: Once again, I've got nothing. If you want my support, invite me for a visit :-) Meantime, I've got to make a choice. So, I'll go with the country that appears the most times in my new book with Axel Dreher about money and influence at the United Nations Security Council: 15 for Colombia, and 3 for Côte d'Ivoire. Colombia it is!

Uruguay v. England: With respect to Diego Aboal and Juan Andrés Moraes, who included a chapter by me in their volume entitled Economía Política en Uruguay: Instituciones y Actores Políticos en el Proceso Económico, I've got to go with my co-authors: Matthew Gould, Matthew Rablen, and Alastair Smith (published here and here). Go England!

Japan v. Greece: Splitting hairs here. Never been to either country. My connection to Japan is that I published a scholarly article about it in World Politics with the great Daniel Yew Mao Lim. My connection to Greece is that I co-authored a blog piece with the amazing Harris Mylonas. I also once got some very nice press in Greece. But let's face it. Academia doesn't (yet) reward blogs or press. It rewards academic publications. I guess I must side with Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment