Tuesday, June 24, 2014

World Cup June 24


Yesterday: 4 games, 4 wins! Made me feel a little better and brought my record to 19 wins, 11 losses, and 6 ties. I'm not feeling so confident about my picks for today, but I'm sticking to my rule of choosing teams according to what each country has done for my career:

Costa Rica v. England: Oh, England... when will you learn the lessons of Soccernomics and play as one United Kingdom? The full force of the UK economy is what produced my connections to your country - the London School of Economics and my co-authors Matthew Gould, Matthew Rablen, and Alastair Smith... Good luck, United Kingdom.

Italy v. Uruguay: Tough call. I've got two Italian co-authors: Silvia Marchesi and Paolo Spada. But Diego Aboal and Juan Andrés Moraes translated a paper of mine and included it in their book Economía Política en Uruguay: Instituciones y Actores Políticos en el Proceso Económico. I'll have to go to the citation count... and, according to Google Scholar, the prediction is Italy.

Greece v. Côte d'Ivoire: I must root for Harris Mylonas and Eleftherotypia. Greece.

Japan v. Colombia: Not at all confident about this, but the closest connection I have to either country is my article about Japan in World Politics with Daniel Yew Mao Lim. Go Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment