Thursday, June 26, 2014

World Cup June 26


This is it - the final day of the World Cup group stage. Going into it, I'm at 22 wins, 13 losses, and 8 ties. Some analysis of those results will be coming up. But for now, here are my picks using my fun rule to pick teams according to what each country has done for my career:

Portugal v. Ghana: Neither country has done any direct favors for me, so I'm going to the book index for this one. 11 to 17, Ghana.

USA v. Germany: There's only one country that has definitely done more for my career than Germany. Go USA!!!

South Korea v. Belgium: With apologies to Pierre-Guillaume Méon and the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), I've got to go with Korea University's summer campus where I taught back in 2009. I also should thank the Bank of Korea for inviting me to their International Conference on the Future of the International Financial Architecture back in 2011. Go Korea!

Algeria v. Russia: Thanks the ESADE/Georgetown GEMBA program, I've taught three times in Russia. Russia didn't pay me, though, so I'm only slightly leaning their way. I'll happily switch to Algeria if any universities want to invite me for a visit in the next few hours. Otherwise, I guess I'm with Russia.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think Suarez deserves more than the punishment given to him after the biting incident.
    --
    2014 FIFA World Cup Odds

    ReplyDelete