Tuesday, June 16, 2015

June 16 edition: FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

Continuing to pick World Cup matches according to what the countries have done for my career as a scholar. The approach does ok because of a spurious correlation: populous & rich countries are likely to have both (1) good performances in international sports and (2) strong universities.

Here are the June 16 matches:

Ecuador v. Japan -- I can't believe that I'll be with Japan again, since they're such a rich country and have never bothered to invite me for a visit. But Ecuador has done even less for me. I published an article about Japan with Daniel Yew Mao Lim. And my students put me on an excellent panel with scholars of Japan back in 2010. So, I am with Japan again...

Switzerland v. Cameroon -- ETH Zurich has done for me than any university outside of the United States. Hopp Schwiiz!

Nigeria v. USA -- USA! USA!

Australia v. Sweden -- Thanks to my colleague Barry Williams who hosted my visit to Australia's Bond University, this is an easy call. Australia all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment