Tuesday, June 16, 2015

June 17 edition: FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

Continuing to pick World Cup matches according to what the countries have done for my career as a scholar. The approach does ok because of a spurious correlation: populous & rich countries are likely to have both (1) good performances in international sports and (2) strong universities.

Here are the June 17 matches:

Mexico v. France -- Loved studying abroad in France in 1992, but what have you done for me lately, France? Mexico had me out for a visit to CIDE in 2005. I'm with Mexico!

England v. Colombia -- Again I'm with my co-authors, Alastair Smith, Matthew Rablen, and Matthew Gould -- and my friends at the London School of Economics. Go England!

Costa Rica v. Brazil -- Co-authoring with Cheibub and co-teaching with Limongi at USP). Brazil!

South Korea v. Spain -- This is a really tough call. I taught for 6 weeks at Korea University's summer campus back in 2009. Then I participated in a major conference sponsored by the Bank of Korea in 2011. But I went to Madrid to teach a short course for Santander in 2010, and I taught at ESADE's Madrid campus in 2012. I've presented my research at FundaciĆ³n Juan March, Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals, and at ESADE's Barcelona campus. I love you, Korea, but this time I've got to go with Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment