Monday, June 8, 2015

June 9 edition: FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

Continuing to pick World Cup matches according to what the countries have done for my career as a scholar. The approach does ok because of a spurious correlation: populous & rich countries are likely to have both (1) good performances in international sports and (2) strong universities.

Here are the June 9 matches:

France v. England -- I studied abroad in France and learned the language. And yet the French universities have snubbed me ever since. I wish the Brits would get over their parochialism and play as a unified country. But England still has done plenty for me, between my co-author Alastair Smith and my wonderful visits to the excellent London School of Economics. Go England!

Spain v. Costa Rica -- I've got strong connections to Spain's ESADE, thanks to the joint GEMBA program with Georgetown. I'm with Spain!

Colombia v. Mexico -- Thanks to my friend Covadonga Meseguer, I had the wonderful opportunity to give a talk at Mexico's CIDE. I'm with Mexico!

Brazil v. South Korea -- Loved teaching at Korea University's summer campus back in 2009. But between my co-author José Cheibub and my co-teaching with Fernando Limongi at USP, Brazil has done way more for my career. Brazil!

No comments:

Post a Comment